Call Morgan Law Firm
Contact Our Law Office


Each year people come to the United States seeking protection because they have suffered persecution or fear that they will suffer persecution due to one or more of the following:

• Race

• Religion

• Nationality

• Membership in a particular social group

• Political opinion

If a foreign national is eligible for asylum he or she may be permitted to remain in the United States. To apply for Asylum, the foreign national needs to file a Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal, within one year of his or her arrival to the United States.

In addition, the foreign national may include his or her spouse and children who are in the United States. For more information, please contact The Morgan Law Firm, P.A. at (407) 425-8529.

Permission to Work in the United States

Unfortunately, a foreign national applying for asylum cannot apply for permission to work (employment authorization) in the United States at the same time the application is submitted to USCIS.

A foreign national may apply for employment authorization if:

• 150 days have passed since the complete asylum application was filed,AND

• No decision has been made on the application.

If the foreign national is granted asylum he or she may work immediately. A foreign national who has approved asylee status may choose to obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) for convenience or identification purposes; however an EAD is not required in order to work once asylee status has been granted.

Bringing Family to the United States

Once the foreign national is granted asylum, he or she may petition to bring his or her spouse and children to the United States. Any children must be under 21 and unmarried. Additionally, the petition must be filed within two years of being granted asylum unless there are humanitarian reasons to excuse this deadline.

Filing for Lawful Permanent Residence (Green Card)

An asylee may apply for a green card one year after being granted asylum.

Contact US Immigration Attorney Rebecca Morgan

For more information on Asylum and for experienced legal representation and advice on any immigration matter, please contact The Morgan Law Firm, P.A. at (407) 425-8529. You may also email us at